NRPE remote config

Request new features for NConf

NRPE remote config

Postby nconfpig » Wed Feb 29, 2012 23:19

I am looking for something that can make the changes to a remote nrpe.cfg file from a centralized web interface tool. For example, change the disk threshold or add a new monitor with a simple click or two. Can NCONF do this, and if yes, how? I didn't see a clear answer to this in the docs.
nconfpig
starter
starter

Re: NRPE remote config

Postby scrat » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:39

Hi,

NConf can only create Nagios/Icinga configuration, but not a NRPE configuration.
For managing NRPE I recommend to use a configuration management tool like puppet, Spacewalk, RHN Satellite Server,...

But you can also activate sending arguments to nrpe:
Code: Select all
dont_blame_nrpe=1

Then you can define the warning and critical thresholds in NConf.

Regards,
René
scrat
NConf enthusiast
NConf enthusiast

Postby nconfpig » Thu Mar 01, 2012 22:00

Rene,

So youre thinking that activating that option in nrpe.cfg that thresholds can be defined on the Nagios server itself and configured with NConf?

But i also wanted to see if anyone knows of a web based tools that can add/remove new checks on remote clients or change thresholds, etc... (perhaps Groundworks, NagiosQL, Zyrion... for example) I have been able to determine this clearly.

If there is nothing out there that can do this, then thats the way it goes i guess.

Thanks!
nconfpig
starter
starter

Postby robertkoeppl » Thu Mar 08, 2012 16:19

Will an option to generate NRPE-Configs as well be added in the future? It would greatly increase the benefit of nconf.
robertkoeppl
NConf rookie
NConf rookie

Postby agargiulo » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:13

Hi.
Currently there are no plans to generate the NRPE config out of NConf. But what you can do is add it to NConf as a static config file ('nconf/static_cfg' folder). It can then be managed in NConf using the "static file editor".

Static files can be deployed to remote hosts using the deployment functionality of NConf. While you may not want to deploy from NConf directly to the target hosts you're monitoring, you may want to upload contents of the static_cfg folder to a central config management server and deploy to your target hosts from there.

Do you use any form of config management system? CFEngine, Spacewalk, RHN Satellite etc. are quite a tools for that..
agargiulo
NConf developer
NConf developer

Postby robertkoeppl » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:19

Hi!
So far no config management system is in place here, as usually almost no config changes are needed after our systems are deployed. nagios/Icinga is more or less the only exception.
robertkoeppl
NConf rookie
NConf rookie

Postby robertkoeppl » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:27

Thinking it through a bit further I assume one of the reasons why the NRPE-config is currently not created is the high probabillity that it could not be rolled out directly in a distributed environment.
one option might be to create a tarball that holds the NRPE-config for all clients monitored by a certain monitor (might need an additional field/checkbox) to that monitor. Unfortunately I an quite bad a t coding. Maybe someone could pick thatz idea up?
Local rollout could be done by securecopy to the clients.
For NSCLIENT++ it coud be rolled out to a folder shared by smb by the clients.
robertkoeppl
NConf rookie
NConf rookie

Postby agargiulo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:19

Hi

It's not really a technical problem to deploy config to remote hosts. Security might be a concern, but the real reason is that NConf is not a general configuration management tool. If that's where we're at, one might think of deploying /etc/hosts, access.conf or any other system files. NConf is not the tool for that. It's a coincidence that nrpe.cfg is monitoring related and it should be deployed to the target hosts in some other way.
agargiulo
NConf developer
NConf developer

Postby robertkoeppl » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:47

I understand your point.
Would you be ok with posting a php-module that offers that functionality here (in case i can get the resources for that from my employer and am allowed to release it)?
My goal is to be able to roll out all monitoring related configs with one tool. nconf is pretty close to that, tho only points missing are the necessary configs for NRPE and NSClient++. It is quite a pain from my point to keep them in sync manually. Regardless of what tool you use, it is an additional error source I want to avoid.
robertkoeppl
NConf rookie
NConf rookie

Postby agargiulo » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:47

1. copy your NRPE and NSClient++ config files to the nconf/static_cfg/ folder
2. set up deployment.ini to unpack the NagiosConfig.tgz archive to a temp folder and extract the static_cfg folder
3. deploy the files you like via the protocols which are available for deployment

http://www.nconf.org/dokuwiki/doku.php? ... yment:main
agargiulo
NConf developer
NConf developer

Return to Feature requests