Advanced Hostgroups

Request new features for NConf

Advanced Hostgroups

Postby JediMercer » Mon Mar 26, 2012 20:59

So I'm really digging the new Advanced Services feature in NConf (as well as the improved deploy functions, even if it was a bit tricky to config). The only downside to the Advanced Services is that to really leverage it, I have to create a lot of extra Hostgroups that make sense from the NConf view ("These are the hosts I want this advanced service on") but don't make as much sense on the Nagios view ("Why do I have 5 host groups for variations of this platform?!")

As an example, we have appliances that come in several different types. They all listen on a common port for administration, so I can make an advanced service for that port, add it to a single hostgroup, put all the appliances in that group and voila! I love it!
But there's additional ports that are used by the different types. So one appliance listens on, for example, port 12345 while a different type listens on 12348. So I can't use a single hostgroup for those two services. Instead, I have to make additional hosts groups, each representing the different type. I don't mind doing that in terms of the setup, that's no big deal and saves me headaches in the end. But I end up having 4 different hostgroups in the Nagios interface where I honestly only want one.

So my request for a feature enhancement to NConf 1.3 is to add "Advanced Hostgroups". They would work like regular hostgroups in NConf itself, and allow you to assign Advanced Services to them. However, while the Advanced Hostgroups would be used by NConf to determine what services to add to hosts when building the configuration files, they would NOT be used to populate the native Hostgroups in nagios. Only the actual Hostgroups feature would be used for that purpose. The end result would be creating Advanced Hostgroups and Advanced Services to populate the various services for the hosts, but the groups would not appear in the Nagios configuration.
JediMercer
beginner
beginner

Re: Advanced Hostgroups

Postby agargiulo » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:32

Hi. Interesting topic.
The end result would be creating Advanced Hostgroups and Advanced Services to populate the various services for the hosts, but the groups would not appear in the Nagios configuration.

How would you prevent an (advanced-) hostgroup from showing up in Nagios? What happens for instance if you would add "register 0" as an attribute? That might do the trick of keeping the hostgroup out of the Nagios GUI while keeping the benefits of inheriting services.

The thing with advanced-services is that we tried to come as close as possible to the native Nagios inheritance functionality. We write the config exactly the same way that you would write it if you didn't have NConf. Therefore we are quite limited in what "magic" NConf can do because in the end, Nagios has to process the config and build the host/service definitions out of it.
Introducing a sort of "virtual" hostgroups that only exist within NConf would be a step back in native Nagios support...
agargiulo
NConf developer
NConf developer

Return to Feature requests