Great Tool... and the future?

Tell us how *cool* we are for bringing you NConf, and how it has made your life easier...

Great Tool... and the future?

Postby crush » Tue Nov 03, 2009 00:49

Hello

Yes its a really nice tool. Until some weeks I have done all the configuration within txt files, in my opinion is this the best methot if you are using a single-server installation. Since I change to a distributed Monitoring, I had no other choice for handling the whole configuration :-)

In comparision to NagioSQL, there are much less configuration options avaiable. Have yo planned to to reinvent the wheel, or is it possible to "merge" these two Projects a little bit?

Help needed?

Thank you
... and regards from Zug :D
crush

Re: Great Tool... and the future?

Postby agargiulo » Tue Nov 03, 2009 14:22

Hi.

There are currently no plans of "merging" the two tools. Both tools follow different strategies: while NagiosQL strives to cover 100% of all Nagios features, NConf follows more of a usability and ease of use strategy, with the freedom for users to extend the data schema, if they need to.

Here a previous statement on the subject in German:
Bei NConf versuchen wir den Fokus vor allem auf Benutzerfreundlichkeit und Reduktion der Komplexität zu legen. Man soll in wenigen Schritten relativ einfach eine verteilte Monitoring Umgebung einrichten und verwalten können. Deshalb wird NConf vermutlich nie den selben Umfang an Optionen und die selbe Detailstufe bieten, die NagiosQL bietet. NConf arbeitet allerdings mit einem sehr flexiblen Datenmodell, welches fortgeschrittenen Usern erlaubt ihre eigenen Objekte und Attribute anzulegen. Wenn eine Option also fehlen sollte, so können User das ursprüngliche NConf Datenschema erweitern um zusätzliche Bedürfnisse abzudecken.

The most important features planned for NConf are host/service templates, host/service dependencies, easier deployment;
Thank you for your feedback and interest in NConf!

Regards,
Angelo
agargiulo
NConf developer
NConf developer

Postby Omar » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:30

I've been testing NConf on our configuration for the past week, and its a really great tool. But can you tell me/us when is the new version coming out? I need the fix you implemented for the ',' issue with the PNP plugin for nagios, also better configuration importer since I do not want to import all of our hosts and services again from scratch.

Great tool and great job, thanks :)
Omar

Postby agargiulo » Wed Nov 11, 2009 17:56

We are currently finalizing release 1.2.6. It was sort of a last-minute decision to also implement service-templates in the upcoming release, and that has turned out to be more complex than expected. We hope to release next week, but cannot promise it...
agargiulo
NConf developer
NConf developer

Postby Omar » Thu Nov 12, 2009 14:22

agargiulo wrote:We are currently finalizing release 1.2.6. It was sort of a last-minute decision to also implement service-templates in the upcoming release, and that has turned out to be more complex than expected. We hope to release next week, but cannot promise it...

No need for promises :) hope everything works out as planned on your end so we can start running amok with it on our end :D
Omar

Return to Feedback / appreciation