Manual upgrade issues encountered in 1.2.6-final to 1.3.0

Everything related to Installation/Update comes here
atcroft
starter
starter

Manual upgrade issues encountered in 1.2.6-final to 1.3.0

Post by atcroft » Fri Dec 16, 2011 00:29

I have been looking forward to the new version for some time, so I decided to try to update our production system during my lunch break from 1.2.6-final to 1.3.0-0. Not my best idea this week. I won't swear that everyone encounters these issues, but these are the items I encountered on performing the updates, and what I did to work through them. (If I should resubmit this in a different manner, please let me know. I apologize for not including the exact error texts when encountered, but I did not intend to spend as much time as I had to on the update. If there are better ways to correct these issues than I included, I would also love to hear those as well.)
  • Configuration missing values - Once the update process (both files and database) had been completed, I attempted to generate a configuration from the existing data. The first errors encountered involved missing values for DEBUG_GENERATE and CHECK_STATIC_SYNTAX in config/nconf.php. These I set to 1 and 0, respectively, leading to the next item.
  • CHECK_STATIC_SYNTAX errors - With CHECK_STATIC_SYNTAX set to 1, I encountered errors on every configuration item in the included static_cfg/nsca.cfg and static_cfg/cgi.cfg files. I changed the value to 0 to skip the tests, but this does need to be examined.
  • Max check attempts, check interval, retry interval, and notification interval errors - Using the data that had been in production (and only modified at this point using the MySQL commands from UPDATE/1.2.6_to_1.3.0/update_database_1.2.6_to_1.3.0.sql, I then encountered errors regarding the values for these items for all hosts and services currently configured (245 and 2079, respectively). While I was able to use the multi-modify functions to change these in bulk, it is still curious (to me) that these would have these issues, and thus probably warrant investigation.
  • Contact group names including '-' characters - At this point, I encountered errors with several contact groups whose names contain '-' characters. For instance, I have a group 'admins' and a group 'admins-notxt' (one being for administrators receiving text messages, the other for users receiving email notifications only), and would get an error about the group '-notxt' not existing. This I fixed by changing the group names to use '_' characters instead of '-' characters, but I thought you should be aware of it just the same.
I cannot express my thanks enough for all the effort you have put into this tool-it has made that part of my job so much easier.

fgander
NConf developer
NConf developer

Re: Manual upgrade issues encountered in 1.2.6-final to 1.3.

Post by fgander » Sun Dec 18, 2011 00:39

Hey. Great to hear that you like it.

So regarding to your points:
  • When you update you should always go for checking the documentation or the included README file... There this options are described as new ones which you have to enter. This you could find in the README file in the UPDATE directory, or in the online documentation: http://www.nconf.org/dokuwiki/doku.php? ... leasenotes
    But what we could improve is to include these new config vars into our check, so they have to be configured before you can enter NConf again. We will discuss that. I am not sure why it was not yet in there.
  • I have no idea what you have for errors with your static_cfg. This is optional to check and depends on what files you put in...
  • This is properly more related to Angelo, but you didn't convert your data before upgrading ? (as also noted in the release notes)
  • I tested this, and it looks like there is a problem when you are using "+admins" in the $SUPERADMIN_GROUPS, I guess you have configured it too. Are you really using this option? For the moment you could remove this, or rename it to something different (then also change the group in the NConf) This fixes the problem that admins-notxt will not work... But your way is also fine :) I will leave a note to Angelo to have a look for that next year, I guess its a small regex problem or something similar...
    -> http://www.nconf.org/dokuwiki/doku.php? ... act_groups
Regards Fabian
F.G. - NConf developer
http://www.nconf.org
Follow NConf on Twitter!

Bennyvision
NConf expert
NConf expert

Post by Bennyvision » Wed Jan 04, 2012 21:47

When adding new options like this, optional or required, it would be good to get the actual stanzas (with comments) as they should appear by default in an installation. I can add each of these manually, but what should I use for comments? Do the different options have different values? Etc. I didn't find a "stock" nconf.php anywhere in the source tree after upgrade for comparison...

Benny

Bennyvision
NConf expert
NConf expert

Post by Bennyvision » Wed Jan 04, 2012 23:25

I stand corrected, I found examples in config.orig/nconf.php.

However, it would be nice to have them in the release notes for those of us that are upgrading. :)

xigxag

Post by xigxag » Wed Jan 25, 2012 05:16

Oh my, thank you for this post. I was beating my head against the wall trying to figure out why the config wouldn't generate. Same issue as you described. The syntax check was failing for all services on all hosts due to the contact groups not being defined anywhere.

We had one contact group with a dash " - " in it. After I changed it to an underscore, life was well.

I also get the warning errors you described when generating config. In my case, I believe it is looking for the nconf.php in in the wrong path. Do you know how I can update this?

[WARN] Could not find option DEBUG_GENERATE in configuration file /var/www/bin/../config/nconf.php
[WARN] Could not find option CHECK_STATIC_SYNTAX in configuration file /var/www/bin/../config/nconf.php

fgander
NConf developer
NConf developer

Post by fgander » Sat Jul 07, 2012 18:18

Is this question still active ?

Did you install nconf under /var/www/bin/ ?
Normally nconf just tries to load the nconf.php in the config directory...

More information needed.

Regards Fabian
F.G. - NConf developer
http://www.nconf.org
Follow NConf on Twitter!