ONCALL_GROUPS

Support requests, bug reports, questions etc.
Dalboz
NConf rookie
NConf rookie

ONCALL_GROUPS

Post by Dalboz » Wed Dec 21, 2011 17:13

I cant seem to find much of any documentation about the ONCALL_GROUPS.
The only thing I see is it mentioned with the "General Configuration Options".
I have set it on my server and it does force one of the groups to be assigned to each item.

It also activated a new item on the left menu just above "Generate Nagios Config" called
"Change on-call settings". When I click on this new item though all I get is a blank list of
contacts. What is this for? How can I use it?

I tried looking at the code to see if I could get more information but it looks like it is driven
from a private sunrise module. I am sure this is custom to how it is being used by sunrise.
This makes me wonder what does the sunrise module do? What other functionality does it add?

fgander
NConf developer
NConf developer

Re: ONCALL_GROUPS

Post by fgander » Thu Dec 22, 2011 00:48

Hey

Forget about the sunrise module, that was just something old (NConf is coming out of sunrise development) but that was just some special Autocomplete-listing of telephone numbers and email addresses.

What this option does / or should do is to allow normal users to change a contact which is used as oncall account. We used that to allow normal Users to change the telephone number of a contact "oncall" which always was changed when someone else has oncall and should receive the alerts...

But I shortly checked that, and it seems that there are some open problems which I have to fix sometime...

Documentation information can be found here : http://www.nconf.org/dokuwiki/doku.php? ... act_groups

Would you need this functionality ?

Regards Fabian
F.G. - NConf developer
http://www.nconf.org
Follow NConf on Twitter!

Dalboz
NConf rookie
NConf rookie

Post by Dalboz » Thu Dec 22, 2011 06:05

I dont think I would want that exact functionality.

I dont have this functionality in nagios either but..
Where I work on-call is basically done like this:
  • Primary contact
    Delay 15 minutes
    Secondary contact if alert is not acknowledged (or fixed)
    Delay 15 minutes
    Manager contact if alert is not acknowledged (or fixed)
    Delay 15 minutes
    Director contact if alert is not acknowledged (or fixed)
As it is now I just alert everyone in the group that would be in the primary/secondary rotations.
I do no escalations to manager/director even though I could probably configure those for each group.
With the current ONCALL_GROUPS functionality it lets me enforce that everything added is sent to one of those groups.
If there was some way though that we could make nagios alert only to the primary / secondary contacts dynamically then that would be something that I would want.

agargiulo
NConf developer
NConf developer

Post by agargiulo » Tue Dec 27, 2011 06:09

Hi.

The ONCALL_GROUPS functionality is nothing very sophisticated. All it does is force users to assign one of the listed contactgroups to any host and service they edit. This is to make sure that alerts actually go to someone, and that no hosts/services end up without a contactgroup.

Additionally, the menu option "change oncall settings" allows non-admin users to edit contacts that are assigned to an ONCALL_GROUP. The idea is for users to be able to change pager / mobile phone numbers during shift rotation, without needing permissions to edit all contacts.

What you are asking regarding primary + secondary groups is something that is not possible withing NConf. The escalation functionality is done in Nagios with host and service escalations. These are the only items that are not yet available yet in NConf. What you can do as a work-around is configure escalations as static config files and use the text editor within NConf.

Hope this asweres most of the questions.

Regards, Angelo