contact group issue after upgrade

Support requests, bug reports, questions etc.
efisher
starter
starter

contact group issue after upgrade

Post by efisher » Wed Dec 14, 2011 18:46

Hello. I just upgraded from 1.2.6 to 1.3.0 with hopes to address an issue I was having with contact groups. Instead, the problem got much worse. I use contact groups named 'customer-admins', but when I try to generate the configuration files, I get errors:

Sample output:
Error: Contact group 'customer-' specified in service 'SSH' for host 'anubis' is not defined anywhere!
Error: Contact group 'customer-' specified in service 'domain1 HTTP' for host 'anubis' is not defined anywhere!
Error: Contact group 'customer-' specified in service 'domain2 HTTP' for host 'anubis' is not defined anywhere!
Error: Contact group 'customer-' specified in service 'domain3 HTTP' for host 'anubis' is not defined anywhere!
Error: Contact group 'customer-' specified in service 'domain4 HTTP' for host 'anubis' is not defined anywhere!
Error: Contact group 'customer--nopager' specified in service 'PING' for host 'bakbone-phx1' is not defined anywhere!

As you can see, in the error nconf is stripping out the 'admins' part from 'customer-admins' and 'customer-admins-nopager'. I have several hundred services I'm monitoring, so changing the contact group convention I'm using would not be my first choice. Any help you can provide?

Also, the original problem that I was having that I hoped that the update would fix... I have a few services where on generation nconf is adding 'admins' as the contact group. I don't have 'admins' defined in any of the services and we don't even use it, but it is notifying the wrong people and I can't figure out how the group is being inherited.

Thanks.
-Eric

efisher
starter
starter

Re: contact group issue after upgrade

Post by efisher » Wed Dec 14, 2011 19:04

So, it looks like I was able to modify the contact group name and it updated the dependencies to it. I am able to re-generate my configuration now, but I'd still like to see this addressed. One more problem, though. Now that I've updated my configuration, the 'admins' contact group is added to every single service and host definition. I'm not using it anywhere. This must be a bug. Please help. This is a pretty big problem as we don't actively maintain or update the 'admins' group.

Thanks again,
-Eric

efisher
starter
starter

Post by efisher » Wed Dec 14, 2011 19:26

I think I figured out my own problem. In the nconf.php file there is a item in there that will add 'admins' to all services/hosts by default. I guess the bug was that the old version wasn't consistent and the new version is. I cleared out that setting and now everything looks to be working as expected.

-Eric

fgander
NConf developer
NConf developer

Post by fgander » Wed Dec 14, 2011 23:33

Hey, nice you already found out your problems and everything is fine now! I just wanted to post that it should be no problem to reset / rename contact groups on all services :) Thats the power of NConf...
And for the other setting, this admin setting was improved, as you could read in the documentation or CHANGELOG...:
http://www.nconf.org/dokuwiki/doku.php? ... act_groups
FIXED a bug with the $SUPERADMIN_GROUPS array (array couldn't be unset). Also, superadmin groups are now listed first in the 'contact_groups' attr, allowing users to place the '+' sign in the beginning (useful to control inheritance of contact_groups from templates).
Regards Fabian
F.G. - NConf developer
http://www.nconf.org
Follow NConf on Twitter!

agargiulo
NConf developer
NConf developer

Post by agargiulo » Thu Dec 22, 2011 04:31

Hi.

Thank you for posting this. We will look into the issues with "-admins" being stripped. That shouldn't be happening.

Regards,
Angelo