Nagios Core 4

Support requests, bug reports, questions etc.

Nagios Core 4

Postby zuzzy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 19:20

I haven't seen any commits in git for a long time - is anyone still working on this and has anyone tested core 4 yet, otherwise we'll all be stuck when it comes out!

--Chris

[edit, meant 4 not 1.4!]
zuzzy
NConf rookie
NConf rookie

Re: Nagios Core 4

Postby jekader » Thu Mar 07, 2013 14:20

Does nagios 4 require serious configuration changes?

If not there should be no problems with nconf, I think. Shouldn't be difficult to test: just feed a config generated by nconf to a nagios 4 instance and see if it works :)

PS: please share a link on where I can download a trunk version of Nagios Core 4, I'll test it against nconf-generated configs.
jekader
beginner
beginner

Postby agargiulo » Sun Mar 10, 2013 23:21

Hi.

Yes, we are still working on NConf, although not regularly.

I cannot give you an answer yet on the Nagios 4 topic. My understating though is that most of the changes in Nagios 4 are performance related, so my guess is the config shouldn't change too much. And if it should, we will definitely adapt NConf. We also accept contributions & enhancements to the code from third parties :-)

Angelo

[Edit:]
I found the following about config changes in Nagios 4:
http://www.mail-archive.com/nagios-user ... 38878.html

I will do some more research on the topic of Nagios 4.
agargiulo
NConf developer
NConf developer

Postby agargiulo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 20:28

I ran some brief tests with a pre-release version of Nagios 4 (actually 3.99.95) and the config check ran through and app started up properly. Checks on localhost also ran successfully.
agargiulo
NConf developer
NConf developer

Postby zuzzy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 16:09

I know you have a lot of better things to do than chase down issues with early betas but Nagios Core 4.0.0b1 is now out. Given a lot of us rely on NConf (and all props to you guys for it too) we'll all be keen to know if anyone is checking the betas as they come out to see if there are teething issues emerging.

One would hope/assume that they won't change much in the way of config now tho'

Thx

--Chris
zuzzy
NConf rookie
NConf rookie

Postby doconeill » Tue Oct 01, 2013 16:28

Nagios Core 4.0.0 is now released...thought I'd point out a couple things I ran into already as I happen to be testing it:

Advanced Services - Even if these are associated to a hostgroup which has no current members, they get written to advanced-services.cfg. 4.0.0 no longer accepts the entries without at least one host that will use them. EDIT: Even if they aren't part of a hostgroup...I have to delete them entirely if I'm not using them. Ideally, nconf would not write them out if they aren't used.

Log file verification - 4.0.0 now verifies during the validation check that the nagios.log file can be opened for writing. Since nconf often runs as the web server user and not the nagios user, this check fails unless you modify the permissions on the log file.
doconeill
starter
starter

Postby john_moody » Thu Oct 03, 2013 05:15

The 'advance services' is a real issue. Apparently, we have been saved by a bug in the Nagios configuration parsing (http://tracker.nagios.org/view.php?id=479) which was fixed between 4.0 beta and 4.0 release :(

Nagios won't be putting the bug back in, so we need an NConf that generates an 'advanced services' config that only includes services used in the target site. I hope that isn't too painful to implement !!

I am available for any beta testing. Our environment has 8 collectors so NConf is the only thing keeping me sane :)

Thanks in advance.
john_moody
beginner
beginner

Postby dhackd » Mon Nov 04, 2013 17:45

john_moody wrote:The 'advance services' is a real issue. Apparently, we have been saved by a bug in the Nagios configuration parsing (http://tracker.nagios.org/view.php?id=479) which was fixed between 4.0 beta and 4.0 release :(

Nagios won't be putting the bug back in, so we need an NConf that generates an 'advanced services' config that only includes services used in the target site. I hope that isn't too painful to implement !!

I am available for any beta testing. Our environment has 8 collectors so NConf is the only thing keeping me sane :)

Thanks in advance.

This small change would be great.. Im in the same boat, have 1000 hosts.. and to make a change via PICO is a real pain.. LOL
dhackd

Postby agargiulo » Mon Nov 25, 2013 17:31

Hi.

We discovered and fixed that bug in 2012 with the following change:
https://github.com/nconf/development/co ... 15bf0f6292

However, we never got around to publishing an updated NConf version with that and other bugfixes applied. Sorry for that.
I will definitely try to catch up with that in the near future.

Angelo
agargiulo
NConf developer
NConf developer

Postby john_moody » Thu Dec 05, 2013 06:28

Thanks Agargiulo, that certainly helped!

I had to remove the 'ServiceGroup' lines from that patch as even though some Advanced Services are in a ServiceGroup, it still doesn't mean there is a matching host. Now I am completely compatible with Nagios 4 :D

- my $assigned_to_servicegroup = 0;

- if($attr->[0] eq "servicegroups" && $attr->[1] ne ""){$assigned_to_servicegroup=1}

- # special processing for advanced-service: remove it if not assigned to any host/hostgroup/servicegroup
- if($class eq "advanced-service"){
- if($assigned_to_host != 1 && $assigned_to_hostgroup != 1 && $assigned_to_servicegroup != 1){
- &logger(4,"Removing $class '$id_item->[0]' from config because the attributes 'host_name', 'hostgroup_name' and 'servicegroups' were empty");

+ # special processing for advanced-service: remove it if not assigned to any host/hostgroup
+ if($class eq "advanced-service"){
+ if($assigned_to_host != 1 && $assigned_to_hostgroup != 1){
+ &logger(4,"Removing $class '$id_item->[0]' from config because the attributes 'host_name' and 'hostgroup_name' were empty");
john_moody
beginner
beginner

Postby agargiulo » Sat Dec 07, 2013 20:17

You're right. I believe I had noticed that also and committed an update to that patch a while later:
https://github.com/nconf/development/co ... e48a63a08e

That was so long ago. Will have to release these changes sometime soon...
agargiulo
NConf developer
NConf developer

Return to Support (NConf 1.3.0)