NConf creating configurations with notifications_enabled = 0

Support requests, bug reports, questions etc.
benny

NConf creating configurations with notifications_enabled = 0

Post by benny » Thu Nov 05, 2009 21:25

Hey folks,

I just installed NConf on a RHEL 5.4 system, and it went great. It only took a few minutes and I was up and running.

I just modified the deploy_local.sh script to suit my needs, and ran a live deploy for the first time. Everything went
pretty well, ... but ... the configuration it generated has notifications_enabled set to 0 for all hosts and services.

Hmm, that's odd.

I've looked through the templates, host and service definitions, and everything else I can think of, but cannot find
where it might be set to 0. In fact, I don't find reference to the notifications_enabled token *anywhere*. Am I missing
something completely silly here?

I did try adding a new attribute to hosts that was of type select, with '0,1' as the values, 1 being the default, visible,
mandatory, etc, and that didn't seem to change behavior.

Please, someone whack me with the clue-by-four and let me know what I'm doing wrong! :)

Benny

agargiulo
NConf developer
NConf developer

Re: NConf creating configurations with notifications_enabled = 0

Post by agargiulo » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:48

Hi Benny.

The "notifications_enabled" flag can be set in NConf by editing your collector/monitor server(s). In the navigation, go to "Nagios-collectors" > "Show" > "edit".

By default, NConf comes with a collector named "Default Nagios". All hosts and services monitored by this default collector have notifications_enabled set to 1. If you add additional collectors, the new collectors will have notifications disabled, because of our distributed monitoring concept: Once you run multiple Nagios collectors, it's usually smart to have a central server where all monitoring results are forwarded to. We call this a "Nagios monitor server". The idea is to then do active checking on the collectors, but no notification there. The central monitor server then receives all check results and does the notifying.

You can read more about our distributed monitoring concept here:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/n ... tart_guide

benny

Re: NConf creating configurations with notifications_enabled = 0

Post by benny » Fri Nov 06, 2009 15:28

Ah! OK, that makes sense. I had renamed the default collector, so I'm sure that's what happened.

Excellent. Thanks so much.

Benny