coordinates

Support requests, bug reports, questions etc.
terrydlm
beginner
beginner

coordinates

Post by terrydlm » Thu Jul 09, 2009 13:25

Sorry if this is a stupid question but i was wondering if its possible to change the coordinates of the icons on the main map screen as you could do with bare Nagios?

Without nconf you have to edit each host and set the coords, is there a way to do the same thing with nconf?

Thanks in advance

fgander
NConf developer
NConf developer

Re: coordinates

Post by fgander » Wed Jul 15, 2009 18:14

Hi
which coordinates ? the path of the icons ?
do you mean this one here ?

Code: Select all

define("OS_LOGO_PATH", "img/logos");
-> https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ ... _.2F_paths

or are you talking about real coordinates ? ( i dont know them )
if so, what are your needs exactly ? do you need a new "attribute" ? whats the content of it ?
you can expand the hosts attributes with "Add Attributes" in NConf...

regards fabian
F.G. - NConf developer
http://www.nconf.org
Follow NConf on Twitter!

terrydlm
beginner
beginner

Post by terrydlm » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:50

What i do with the pre Nconf nagios is to specify the following e.g. 2d_coords 20,20 in each of the hosts files and this gives me the icons on the statusmap.cgi screen in the positions where i can see them all nice and neatly. We use a big monitor here with statusmap.cgi on so we can take a quick look at the screen to see the status of our machines.

Currently using Nconf i get the above statusmap.cgi screen. Even if i change the layout method i can't get all the icons in one screen. I don't have more than 40 machines i am monitoring so how do other people get round this? Maybe they only use the Host Groups? I have tried to put the coordinates in Nconf and that does work BUT the next time you generate the config it obviously erases all the coordinates.

I really like NConf but this is something that i feel would make it so much better.

Terry

agargiulo
NConf developer
NConf developer

Post by agargiulo » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:56

Hi.

What you can do is add a new attribute for your coordinates:
Go to "Attributes" > "Add", name the new attribute "2d_coords", make sure it belongs to the class "host", set the data type to "text";
Now you should be able to add or edit coordinates for each of your hosts. These will be generated with your new config every time.

This is a manual process though. If you only have 40 hosts, that's a one-time initial workload I guess. Maybe you were expecting a sexy feature that automatically suggests the next coordinates for your hosts, or sorts them somehow?

Hope this helps.

terrydlm
beginner
beginner

Post by terrydlm » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:45

Hi Agargiulo,

This works. My boss is happy now! I know we are easily pleased!

We have a big monitor which we used to keep on the Map screen so we could see quickly and from a distance if something was not green. Now i can modify the hosts and we can go back to the way we used to have it.

Personally i don't want the icons arranged automatically as i prefer to arrange the icons myself so that i can have all the Windows hosts together, and the MAC's together, Linux together etc.

Maybe you could get the hosts placed automatically but allow the function to move them manually if required?

Thank you very much for your help.

I really appreciate it.

Terry